I love Mexican food especially tacos. I can eat tacos all year long, but it's especially good on a hot summer day. Basically anything with avocados, sour cream, tomatoes, and cilantro are good for me. I love all sorts of tacos.
This is my first time making fish tacos. I learned it at the local night school course and I must say it's delicious! What I love about this recipe is the marinate. I also made fresh salsa. It's so liberating! The tacos were so good that my kids ate every last bite. I loved the marinated fish along with the creamy guacamole and homemade salsa.
Baja Fish Tacos - serves four
1/4 cup 60 ml vegetable oil
1 1/2 T 22 ml fresh lime juice
2 tsp 10 ml chili powder
1/2 tsp 2 ml ground cumin
1/2 tsp 2 ml ground coriander
1/2 tsp 2 ml pressed garlic
1/4 tsp 1 ml salt
1 lb 450 g white fish fillets (cod, snapper)
4-8" 4-20 cm warm flour tortillas
1. Combine oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic and salt to make a marinade.
2. Coat the fish fillets with the marinade and let stand while preparing all the condiments.
3. When ready to cook, dry the fish with paper towels and grill or fry the fish in vegetable oil over moderately high heat, turning once. (Time will depend on the fish thickness.)
4. Divide the fish amongst the tortillas and top with slaw and pico de gallo.
5. Add a dollop of crema, fold, fold and serve immediately.
1 cup 250 ml finely shredded green cabbage
1 T 15 ml minced red onion
1 tsp 5 ml fresh lime juice
1 tsp 5 ml honey
1 tsp 5 ml minced jalapenos (add more or less depending on your taste-buds)
1 tsp 5 ml chopped cilantro
salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
Pico De Gallo
1/2 lb 225 g tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup 60 ml finely chopped onion
1 T 15 ml finely chopped jalapenos (depending on your preferred level of spiciness)
1 T 15 ml fresh lime juice
2 T 30 ml chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients, taste and adjust flavoring as needed.
1/4 cup 60 ml sour cream
1/4 tsp 1 ml finely grated lime zest
1 tsp 5 ml lime juice
Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
Source: Vancouver School Board Continuing Education
West Coast Seafood Delights Course
Chef: Kathryn Hunter-Tate
**Don't get confuse. I've included metric measurements. Use either one is fine.
Give it a whirl and see how it goes. Don't forget a squeeze of fresh lime juice to your tacos before you eat. Enjoy!
Do you love fish tacos? Do you love Mexican food?